Looking for ways to make this Mother’s Day extra special? When you live in Boulder, there’s an abundance of opportunities to spend quality time together and show Mom how much you care. In my previous post in this series, I covered some great gifts and ideas that came from my survey of friends who are moms. This time, I’ll focus on their’ favorite spots in town to enjoy brunch, grab a drink, and share a good time with loved ones. Check these ideas out:
The Best Places For Brunch
If you want to start Mother’s Day off with a delicious meal (and some mimosas), there are plenty of options in town that Mom will love. Here are a few favorites:
- Top choice: Tangerine – so many great options, especially for those with dietary restrictions.
- Runners Up: Dry Storage and Lucky’s are tied for second place.
- Honorable Mention: Corrida – food + rooftop view are hard to beat!
Where to Take Mom For Coffee and Tea
Spending some time in conversation over a great cup of tea or coffee makes for a wonderful morning for many moms. Our town has incredible options when it comes to coffee and tea houses. Here are a few highlights:
- Top choice: Boxcar is the clear frontrunner among my friends.
- Runner Up: Süti & Co. is a close second.
- Honorable Mention: The iconic Dushanbe Teahouse rounds out our choices with an incredible back story. If you haven’t been to this Boulder mainstay, be sure to pay it a visit.
Top Spots For Sweet Treats
Want to treat Mom to something sweet on her special day? Boulder doesn’t disappoint. There are bakeries and creameries around every corner, so it can be hard to choose! If you’re having trouble narrowing it down, here are our standouts in this category:
- Top choice: Piece, Love, and Chocolate
- Runner Up: Sweet Cow. Erin says, “It’s the perfect spot that has something for everyone in the family!”
- Honorable Mentions: Lucky’s Bakehouse and Gelato Boy round out our list.
Best Places For Cocktails
For moms who love a good cocktail, there are countless places in town. However, a few spots (and drinks) qualify as the best of the best:
- Top Choice: OAK at Fourteenth is our winner! If Mom doesn’t already have a go-to drink, check out Across the Atlantic, Rehydrator, and Dawn’s Inferno.
- Runner Up: Stella’s – consider the Saffron Gin and Tonic or Daiquiri Neri.
- Honorable Mentions: License No. 1, Corrida, The Kitchen (Upstairs), and Jax each received equal praise.
Moms’ Favorite Rooftop Spots
Want to enjoy a good rooftop with Mom? Visit the following:
- Top Choice: Corrida blew away the competition. Erin says she loves the rooftop at Corrida because “the views at sunset are everything!”
- Runner Up: Rosetta Hall
- Honorable Mention: Rio Grande – I’m pretty sure you’re limited on the number of margs you can order at this hot spot; they are that strong (and good!).
Shops to Explore
If you want to indulge Mom in some retail therapy, we all know that there’s no shortage of great shops in Boulder! Some of the best local stores are fun to wander, including:
- Top Choices: Cedar & Hyde Mercantile, MAX, and HAVEN are favorites among this crew.
- Runner Up: Our city’s famous three-level bookstore, Boulder Book Store, is right on the heels of Cedar & Hyde.
- Honorable Mention: The Bookworm
The Best Kept Secret in Boulder
Whether you’re new to Boulder or your family has lived here for years, the ladies I surveyed have a few ideas that you may not have tried yet. Here are their thoughts:
- Tina says sandwiches at Le Frigo are a must-try!
- Rachael says that the view of Boulder from the mesa behind Heatherwood is stunning.
- Estella recommends the pre-made salsas from El Valle Market on 30th Street.
- I personally love the heirloom pastas from Pastificio and the Isolate Float Center in South Boulder.
Favorite Mountain Getaways
If you’re planning to go all out this Mother’s Day with a mountain getaway, you may be stuck on which destination to choose. Here are some recommendations:
- Top choices: Both Crested Butte and Devil’s Thumb Ranch are favorites among this crew.
- Runner Up: Telluride is our runner up, and a great place to visit in the summertime, too.
- Honorable Mention: Vail, Aspen, and Breckenridge split the honorable mentions.
Boulder offers exceptional opportunities for dining, entertainment, and so much more. If you’re hoping to make this Mother’s Day one that Mom will absolutely love, I think that any of the ideas mentioned here are an excellent start. Happy Mother’s Day!