As you probably know by now, the Denver Broncos are going to the Super Bowl this year! If you’re hosting a bash, it’s time to start planning the grub you’ll be serving. As we all know, the food is often the highlight of any successful game celebration. This Super Bowl Sunday, impress your guests with these gourmet treats that will be sure to please, courtesy of Casey Easton of Food Lab Boulder.
Goat Cheese Wontons
These little guys are delicious and the perfect combo for a melty hot popper!
3oz cream cheese- at room temp
3 oz goat cheese- at room temp
2 jalapenos, chopped, seeded
2 tbsp honey
5 eggroll wrappers cut in half or 10 wonton wrappers
High heat oil (canola, grape seed, peanut)
Raspberry Chipotle Dipping Sauce (Check out the Fischer and Wiser brand from Whole Foods)
1. Combine cheeses, jalapeno, honey and salt.
2. Stuff wontons and seal (learned in recent Food Lab class – but there are “how to” videos online created by others to help).
3. Heat about an inch of oil in a high sided pan, carefully place wontons in and make sure they begin sizzling and cooking immediately (otherwise the pan is not hot enough). Cook until golden and remove to drain on paper towel.
4. Serve hot with sauce!
White Bean Dip
This is a good alternative to all of the cheesy, greasy options that are out there for Super Bowl!
1 can white cannellini beans, drained
1 red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 sprigs thyme
1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat pan to medium high. Add oil, onion and garlic. Cook until the onion begins to brown a tad, then add beans, thyme, and balsamic vinegar.
2. Turn to low, add salt/pepper and cover, cook 5 minutes.
3. Remove thyme and blend in food processor.
4. Serve with vegetables and crackers.
Mini Meatball Sliders
1 lb 80% lean ground beef
½ onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 slices bread, run water on them, then squeeze out excess water
½ cup Parmesan
1 tbsp oregano, and/or thyme or rosemary
salt to taste
28 oz can San Marzano Tomatoes, crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Mix all meatball ingredients together in a bowl. When fully mixed, remove little at a time and make small meatballs (you want them to fit into your slider bun, so see how big that bun is).
2. Heat a pan to medium and add olive oil and garlic for sauce. Add canned tomatoes. When heated, drop in meatballs one by one.
3. Simmer at least 30 minutes with lid on.
4. Place sliced slider buns on a sheet tray, and pop in oven to heat on low. Remove and place cooked meatballs and excess sauce on bun. Sprinkle with cheese and put back in oven to melt cheese.
5. Remove and serve.
2 ounces tequila
3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
½ orange liquor
½ oz simple syrup
½ oz St Germaine
Combine all and shake! Serve over ice.