Independence Day is the perfect opportunity to show off those cooking skills you’ve honed during the pandemic. If you’re planning a party, you definitely want to try these recipes. These dishes, courtesy of Food Lab Boulder’s Casey Easton, are sure to keep your guests talking for weeks to come. Happy 4th of July!
Pan-Seared New York Strip
2 8 Oz New York strip steaks
1 sprig thyme
4 TBSP cold butter
- Pull the steak out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking to let it temper.
- Heat or light the grill.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper right before cooking.
- Once the grill is up to temp, place steak on it. Temp should be fairly high. This differs for all grills and depends what type you are using. You want to get a nice sear.
- Let the steak sit on the grill without touching it for 3-5 minutes until the bottom side has a dark golden-brown crust.
- Continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 120F for rare, 135F for medium rare or 145F for medium.
- Heat butter and thyme together on a little pot on the stove or on the grill.
- Remove the steak from the grill and pour butter mixture over. Let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing against the grain.
½ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
5 sprigs thyme, stems removed
3 green onions, white and green
¼ cup parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp lemon zest
- Combine all the ingredients and blend until slightly smooth. Season to taste.
Grilled Asparagus with Preserved Lemon
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
1 TBSP preserved lemon, diced
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
2 slices bacon, chopped
Balsamic vinegar, drizzle
- 1. Place asparagus in a foil packet or a vegetable roaster on the grill. Drizzle oil and salt, grill for 10 minutes, or for more if the asparagus is thicker. Check until the asparagus is al dente, and maybe a little blackened on the tips.
- Remove from grill, place on plate or platter and top with lemon, cheese, bacon and balsamic.
4 cups cubed watermelon
½ cup mint
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup goat cheese
Toss all ingredients in a bowl, serve chilled.